For I must be traveling on, now; 'Cause there's too many places I've got to see..
'Cause I'm free as a bird now, And this bird you can not change

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: One is roots, the other is wings.”





On returning home from my wonder FL. vacation I came back to finding out my dad was super sick, He has lung cancer and that cancer is a fast moving cancer so during my month stay the cancer has now spread to his pancreas The cancer doctor said he gives him 6 months. Do you know how hard it is to hear you only have 6 months with someone?Its very hard that's why I kind of thought i would use this blog as my therapy and to spread my dads life story to others so he can help someone else.  

Let me start out saying that I got my wings from my Dad. He has always loved the thrill of a road trip when I was younger we would take road trips and when we did they had to be the long back road kinds which of course i know now that those are the best kind. He gave me strong courageous wings

tattoo I got in dedication to my dad that says 'love dad" from a letter he wrote me then the bird is carrying a peace sign because although my dad was drafted in the war he is a totally hippie




(Lil life story in a nutshell )
My dad had a very hard life he is a VietNam vet who is a alcoholic and smoker. Growing up his drinking took first place to everything. I didn't care how much he would go off on drinking binges or how many times he came home drunk I loved him and I wanted to be his fishing buddy. As I got older I did become angry and resentful then when I was 15 or 16 he had a stroke due to  that wonderful alcohol that almost took his life I remember it like it was yesterday we had just came home from church and found him with his ever so faithful pint of beer we rushed him to the hospital and he made it but the doctor said no more acholo So my dad quit he starting attending church faithful and won the battle of acholo. Then when I was 18 he had slip up that involved cops and the news station he actually had some flashbacks from Nam and was sent to a safe home thing instead of jail.
After all this fun he got throat cancer in which he fought and beat it. and now well now he has lil harder of a fight its weird because the doctor flat out told us this was the end and they have now called in hospice but I know him and i know his a fighter always has been.


Here's me and my dad at Christmas with our babies lol we love those dogs here 
this is after going through kemo for his lung cancer  
Here's dad and one of the nephews

Although i have been through alot with my dad I wouldn't change it. He has honestly made me a stronger person that has the biggest wings for life.
He has showed me to never ever give up the fight I mean he use to be a 260 pound man to now only weighing in at 116 and is still fighting for his life.I know it seems like alot to say about my dad but please don't judge him. I had alot of good times during my childhood wonderful memories of fishing traveling and lessons learned. I just wanted to tell people our story to inspire encourage and be an example for others.
I mean thanks to my dad I never picked up a beer because I saw how much damage it could to you and your family I also never picked up a cigarette for the fear of being addicted or being sick.
SO see my dad may have not be the best example as a perfect father but he kept his daughter away from alot trouble.
I ask you to please pray for my family and me As I take on the role as his caregiver I quit my job to stay home with him because I'm not gunna let him sit and wait  we are going to live everyday to the fullest!!!

Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.

1 comment: